Saturday, April 23, 2011

Menda City Adieu

After five incredible years, editor Terry Rogers has decided to call it a day with his online literary magazine, Menda City Review. The final issue (number 18) has posted just last week.

MCR was a truly exceptional publication, one that favored quality over quantity. It was named along with Clarkesworld as the "best new online literary magazine" of 2006 by the Story South Million Writers Award. For the following five years it continued to publish a wide variety of work, everything from traditional narratives to unabashedly experimental fiction and magical realism, including some of the best writers out there today. Its commentary section also included political essays and non-fiction memoirs.

Terry believed in every word of every story he published. Unlike most editors for online publications, he was unafraid of longer works -- MCR was one of the few online publications that would take submissions as long as 10,000 words. He gave meticulous, sensitive feedback to writers, collaborating with them until their work was in the best shape possible. I am proud to have been a part of it, serving for three years as associate editor of the commentary section. I am not proud of the fact that I still put two spaces after periods in my manuscripts, which he insists (I think correctly) is both unnecessary and unprofessional in the age of word processors.

Terry is also an exceptional writer, as you will see from his "Song of the Siren," included in this final issue, along with WJ Rosser's "The Robber" and my own "The Curtain". MCR was a huge time commitment for him, and I know he's looking forward to getting back to writing his own fiction. For myself, I am looking forward to reading it.

In the meantime, enjoy this last issue!

2 comments:

ACuriousMind said...

Found your blog after reading Qualia on Cafe Irreal. Loved the story!

Nice blog too. Thoughtful.

Andrew S. Taylor said...

Thank you kindly! I'll take this as a sign I should update my blog more often...